We sit down with James McGinniss, CEO and Cofounder of David Energy to talk about Bitcoin’s role in the energy transition and how Bitcoin mining is a useful source of flexible load for increasingly renewable grids. In this episode:
- The fundamental change happening in the US grid today
- What distributed energy resources are and why they are important
- Why DERs are catching on in California
- Why bitcoin allows load to move to supply
- Why better metering improves the prospects for demand response
- How demand response works nationwide
- Why there’s a fundamental tradeoff between uptime and power prices
- Why Bitcoin is the best demand response resource
- The prospects for other location agnostic load resources
- Do better batteries obsolete Bitcoin mining as a grid balancer?
- How David Energy is working with Bitcoin miners
- Why Bitcoin miners should trade mining uptime for cheaper power
- Are grid operators designing programs for bitcoin miners?
- Why there’s a longer tail of energy assets that miners should take advantage of
- This episode supported by Public.com. Start investing with as little as $1 and get a free slice of stock up to $50 when you join Public.com today. Visit public.com/onthebrink to download the app and sign up.
- This episode is brought to you by Withum, a top 25 accounting firm with a cutting-edge Digital Currency and Blockchain Technology practice. To learn more, visit withum.com/crypto.